In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Friday, August 22, 2008

I think I've figured this out!!

And if I can...anyone can!! This has been a wonderful diversion for me this miserable summer at my house; so you mustn't let it die!!

I have some trivia questions....

1.What kind of car did Coach Owens drive?
2. Who was Miss Meridian from our class?
3. Who was our valedictorian?
4. What were the great sandwiches called at the Triangle?
5.Where could you get a black lemonade?
6. Where did the carhops skate to the cars?
7. What were the girlie parties called when most of the guests arrived in pjs.
8.Who were the award winners from our class?
Marks Rothenberg Science Award?
Jas.H.Skewes Trophy?
Ben F. Cameron Award?
Alex Loeb Trophy?
Pilot Club Award?
Phi Kappa Award?
Maude Smith English Award?

11 comments:

David N. James said...

Nancy,
Great Post! I don't know any of the answers, but I enjoyed reading the questions. Welcome aboard.

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Congratulations on posting. You go,girl! Welcome to the posting team.

3. Joe Burnett
6. Brookshire's?
7. Pajama parties
English Award - Judy Johnson?

To toot my own horn, I was named "Outstanding Foreign Language Student," and later taught languages at MHS.

Mary Jane (Kelly) Heisterkamp said...

4. Chick Steak sandwiches. I wish I had one right now.

Welcome, Nancy. Great questions. Really enjoyed your trivia.

Anonymous said...

2. Carey Ann Sanford 3. Joe Burnett 4.Chik-steak 6.Spot Drive In 7.Pallet Parties 8.Marks-Rothenberg Science Award-Philip George & James Askew; James Skewes Trophy-Oliver Buntin; Alex Loeb Trophy-Ralph Abraham; Pilot Club Trophy-Judy McKellar; Phi Kappa Award-Kathleen Bustin; Maude Smith English Award-Ella Kappes

Little Scribe said...

I'm hungry. Chick steak. Besides Nancy's post, nothing would make me happier right now than something to eat. Off to the kitchen.

John Chancellor said...

Okay,

I guess we give up on #1 & 5.

Great questions, made us think ... or try to think and lots of us came up blank.

Anonymous said...

Nancy said...These are my answers. They could be wrong...

1. A studebaker,blue or green. I was told that for conditioning the team would run through the streets of Meridian with Coach Owens riding along behind in his Studebaker.
2. Our class hit the jackpot...Carrie Ann Sanford, Mary Jane Spencer was 1st alternate, then Tee Mann and in 1961 Anne Stallworth. There may be others in our class who were alternates etc. Don't remember.
3. Joe B.
4. Those wonderful Chicksteaks...Millie were they veal?
5. The Plaza had black lemonades. I don't know why or why anyone would want one. But they had them.
6.The Spot... and those guys could really skate!

To answer #7 I must find the newspaper clipping I used for the names of the awards. I'll do that later. Peggy, you must have saved that clipping too.

Anonymous said...

It's #8 I'll do later.

7. I was thinking "Come as you are parties" Someone would ride around early morning gathering friends who would come as they were for breakfast. Usually they were in pjs.

Anonymous said...

I had an unfair advantage. Still have the copy of the Wildcat which made the announcements of the award winners. No mention of the winner of the Ben Cameron award though. Black lemonade? That's a new one on me. I had forgotten about the Plaza. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Peggy, this is what my news paper clipping says...

Phillip George...Marks Rothernberg Science Award
Oliver Buntin...Jas.H.skewes trophy
Charles McCraney...Ben F. Cameron award
Ralph Aberham...Alex Loeb trophy
Judy McKellar...Pilot Club Award
Kathleen Bustin...Phi Kappa Award
Ella Kappes...Maude Smith English Award.

This is going to say anonymous, but it is Nancy C. Not to be confused with those other anonymouses!!



One more trivia...who were the stars on the Powder Puff Football game on the senior team?

Anonymous said...

Give Up?

Gail Dennis and Leila Keeton acording to the Meridian Star. No, I don't have all the papers. Just these and apparently Dick Smith, the sports editor was smitten with Leila. I quote " If all the youngsters we know were as shapely as this Keeton girl, future of this old world would be tremendous!" I don't have the date on this; but an add on the back for Jarman shoes for men was $9.95!! Folks, we are OLD!

That's all from me. I know nothing else. Good bye...Anonymous Nancy