In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One of My Dearest Friends

The story of Olive, posted yesterday, reminds me to share with you one of my dearest friends, Sr. Fidelis Hart, OSC. Sister is a Poor Clare nun. For a while, she was my spiritual director, and I used to go to the Poor Clare monastery in New Orleans and spend days at a time with her.

Sister and her twin were born on August 8, 1915, in Liverpool, England. She soon will be 93 years old. While she was a young child, she and her family immigrated to the United States, to New York where she grew up. She is a brilliant, well-educated person. Time has not diminished her joy in life and her desire to learn and be involved. She is an inspiration.
I receive e-mails from her regularly. She told me she wanted her own web page so I provided one, found here: http://www.ourladyofthepearl.com/fidelis.htm Her page has a short story of her life, a writing by her when her twin died recently, a slide show of photographs and other things. This morning I added to her page with an e-mail from her about a white deer. She is my sister, my mother and my friend - all in one.



2 comments:

David N. James said...

Is this the dear soul that you told me about? The one who likes Elvis?

Little Scribe said...

No but I wouldn't be surprised if she did. The nuns I told you about who visited our blog here and listened our Elvis selections (the writer said that it brought back old times for her) are the Poor Clare Colettines in Wales. Their website is here: http://www.poorclarestmd.org/ . Initially they found me through one of my websites. They write every day. So precious.

There is a connection between Sr. Fidelis and the Clares in Wales. She visited them about 20 years ago, and they still remember her and have reconnected through e-mails.