In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Saturday, November 15, 2008

Life on the Farm by Maxine

Here is another funny story about my life on a farm. I laugh out loud every time I think about this, so I hope I can write the details of it plain enough for you to see it through my letter.

I have two brothers. My oldest brother, Ozell, has always been known to be sane and smart. My younger brother, Jerry, is, ---well, ---not, but he is a lot of fun to be around.

My son, Shane bought 147 acres just north of us, with an old farm house on it, exactly the same floor plan as the house we grew up in on Old Marion Road in Meridian. His wife wanted him to bulldoze it down, but Shane decided to restore it.

Jerry came to spend a week with us and wanted to go see this property. Once we got there, Jerry and Bill, my husband, got into one of Shane's golf carts to take a tour of the whole property.

It doesn't sound funny yet, but just wait.

Bill and Jerry are both over 300 pounds, and they completely filled up the front seat of that golf cart. Jerry was driving and Bill was in the passenger seat. Don't get ahead of me now on this story, because you cannot guess what is about to happen.

As they go across the front pasture down toward the lake, there were furrows where it had once been plowed. Every time Jerry would hit a bump, Bill's right foot would fall off the running board, hit the ground, and he would holler. After several times of this happening, Jerry found a rope about 12 feet long in the back of the golf cart. He told Bill, "I have an idea, tie this end around your foot, and I'll throw it across the golf cart and hold the other end, so your foot won't fall off the cart." They both agreed it was a good idea.

After this great idea failed, Bill said, "Jerry, let me hold the other end." So they switched holding the rope.

Jerry took off again, with Shane now looking back from his golf cart wondering what on earth they are doing, and why is it taking them so long to follow him. This time, they were both just beaming for being so smart. But they forgot one major detail. Bill had one end of the rope tied around his right foot, and was holding on to the other end, but the slack of the rope fell onto the ground, got tangled in the back tire of the golf cart, and in a split second, it jerked Bill out of the cart and face down on the ground.

Jerry looked over to where Bill had been sitting and he was GONE!!! Jerry said the only thing he could think of was the scripture in the Bible that speaks of "Two or more will be in the field, and one will be taken", and he thought Jesus was nearby.

STOP LAUGHING, I can hear you.

My son, Shane, had seen the whole thing and thought his Dad was dead. When he got back to where they were, Bill was laughing so hard he was shaking.

Shane came back up to the house where I was and said to me, "Mom, I don't mean to be disrespectful to my Dad and my Uncle, but how in the hell did I inherit those two, they are like Frick and Frack."

My life is never dull. Just hang around us and you will be laughing.

Hope you enjoyed this.

No comments: