In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Sunday, June 15, 2008

50's Memories

This should bring back a few 50's memories. Beth and I remember Miss Annie Wigransky's (sp) ancient 12 cylinder Lincoln? She used to park the beast in front of her store. Does anyone else remember Miss Annie's store or her car?
MJ

I came across this phrase yesterday 'FENDER SKIRTS.' A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about 'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like 'curb feelers' and 'steering knobs.' suicide knob.
Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?' They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes?'

At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the Time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'world wide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure. ?

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all. ?

I always loved! going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this. ?

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like 'DynaFlow' and 'Electrolux' Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'SpectraVision!' ?

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore..

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most, 'supper..' Now everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a 'certain age' would remember most of these.

Just for fun, pass it along to others of 'a certain age'!

IF YOU AREN'T OF A CERTAIN AGE. YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS.

Please feel free to add to this list along with great old Southern Phrases we used to hear.

4 comments:

Jinny Curran Walz said...

I remember well Miss Annie's store next to Uncle Saul's store and the bank, Farmer's Bank, I think. Shopping at her store was like looking for a treasure at a garage sale - you could always find something great and at a great price. She was always willing to adjust the price!

John Chancellor said...

I have no recollection of Miss Annie's store, but I do remember the Farmer's bank.

Do you remember the slide rule. All the geek types had one, in a leather case and many would wear them on their belts. I still had mine until the flood waters of Katrina did it in.

And do you remember the little yellow plastic rulers with the "wolley segap" on them. It was yellow pages spelled backwards .. an ad give away for the yellow pages.

Little Scribe said...

I have vague memory of Miss Annie's - so vague seems like I'm making it up. Annie's was a forerunner of Hudson's.

Ever been to Hudson's? Mainly a Mississippi company I think. They buy out bankrupt companies or inventory from insurance companies after fire or other disaster. Hudsons in Picayune and Hattiesburg are great. Occasionally, I've bought some beautiful clothes at Hudson's. Cheap - like beautiful Jones of New York, full length, wool coat ($500) for about $100.00. I bought it to keep me warm in Oxford when I move there - if I ever move there.

John Chancellor said...

I also remember when the drive-in meant movie, not the bank.

And when some restaurants had car hops that came to your car, took your order and then brought it back on those trays that hooked over your window.

And when canteen also meant the place you went to play games, dance and socialize - not just a water holder.