In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Monday, May 26, 2008

Forever Young

I've found through the e-mails and this blog that we have remained forever young in our spirits. We may be almost 70 but time has stood still in some respects. May your hearts always be joyful.

May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

by Bob Dylan

3 comments:

David N. James said...

Ouida,

Bob Dylan is now 67 and, hence, one of us. To me, "Forever Young" is a perfect benediction to offer a friend upon leaving them. I know the words by heart. Thank you for posting the song as words. In my opinion, "Forever Young" is poetry and should be read and spoken... as you have posted. Thank you!

Little Scribe said...

You are right, David. It is a benediction. Thank you for writing. You've given me more to reflect upon.

I would like to hear what others might have to say. Write your "comments" here.

For me, this poetry has a very spiritual basis. One example, it starts off with the words of Saint Francis of Assisi, near the end of his life, when he gave a blessing to Brother Leo (quoting Numbers 6:24-26):

"May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He show His face to you and be merciful to you. May He turn His countenance to you and give you peace. May the Lord bless you, Brother Leo."

I think Saint Francis would nod in agreement with these words of Bob Dylan. Saint Francis called himself a troubadour for the Lord. I'm sure he and Dylan would enjoy singing this song together.

John Chancellor said...

While I have not memorized the words, that has always been the way I have tried to live. I think we are as old or as young as we think we are. I guess I have always thought and acted younger than many of my peers. I would hate to act old. I see no reason to. I have seen far too many people start to think old and then get physically older almost overnight.

I totally agree with the philosophy. Your body is going to respond to the way your mind thinks. Think young and you will be.