In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Catch A Wave

I don't remember listening to the Bee Gees until sometimes in the 60's or early 70's. Deep in my memories (somewhere around the time of my divorce), I remember being in Meridian, driving my mother's GTO with the Bee Gees singing, "Catch A Wave." There was a great sense of empowerment because I had said yes to life. I had caught a wave and was sitting on top of the world. I was no longer living under the crushing weight of a rock - The Marriage. I rode the wave through Ole Miss in the 70's and one of the happiest periods of my life. I wasn't only Staying Alive , I could say, I'm Alive. It was a great time for me and a great time for women.

Other Bee Gees I like
How Deep is Your Love
Words

(Click underlined words for link to music.)

6 comments:

David N. James said...

Although I'm not a fan of Barry Gibbs and Company, if they were uplifting and/or reinforcing for you as you gained the reaffirmation of Ouida as her own person, I will listen to them, one time, as a tribute to your newly found freedom back then.

My problem with much of the music of that era is that for me it was the harbinger of a mental illness I contracted in the early '70s: discophobia.

Little Scribe said...

Wow. I had to look that one up. I had no idea that this was happening back then: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-34385420_ITM
I'm sorry to confess to you that I took private disco lessons in the fall of 1979 while I was at Ole Miss again. I was spending a semester in law school, waiting for my job to begin in New Orleans at the 5th Circuit.

David N. James said...

Ouida,
Private disco lessons? Well, we all make mistakes. That doesn't make you a bad person.

Little Scribe said...

Oh, darlin' - it wasn't a mistake.

David N. James said...

If I were a woman, having John Travolta come by a few times a week would've been fun for me, too. You never had the courage to go public about his overweening attention and enthusiasm until now. See, it's always better to bring it out and talk about it.

I wanted to come over when you called, but aren't you glad I sent John in my place? I wanted to come, but I was too busy just "stayin' alive."

Little Scribe said...

I was heartbroken when you didn't come.