In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Friday, July 25, 2014

Facebook, Snakes and Maxine

(If you are not on Facebook, look at all the fun you are missing.)

Ouida Tomlinson July 23 at 6:00pm · Maxine Strickland there was a S N A K E in my yard today. My sister ran over it with her riding mower, but it is still there. I am running to and fro and don't know what to do. Help - Help! Haven't seen a snake in my yard since I was about 4 years old. EWW. EWW.

Maxine Strickland Name it! It is probably a good snake that will eat your country mice. I know you don't remember, but when I was in 10th grade I brought 2 snakes to school and they were kept in a glass tank in the Biology class. One of them was a Green Snake, and the other one was a Hog Nosed Snake, or sometimes called a puff adder. When I brought them to school, they were very tame, but some of the boys, and I won't name them, teased them so much that the Hog Nosed Snake jumped out of the tank, and the school was evacuated until I could find the snake in Mrs. Davis' desk drawer. I was ordered to take them home that day. I took the snakes and put them into my pocket and headed to the water fountain to get a cool drink of water just outside the office, before I headed home across town and down Old Marion Road. It was a good 5 miles or more. While I was standing there getting a drink of water, Mrs. Horton stopped to get her a drink and she saw the green snake. She screamed as loud as any scared teacher could, and Mr. Pendarvis came running out of the office. I started footing it out of the building as fast as I could without running down the hall. He hollered at me "Hey Blockhead!!!" He called everybody this if he didn't know your name. I didn't stop, because that was NOT my name, so he couldn't be calling me!! He hollered again, and then came running. He asked me "Did you scare Mrs. Horton with a SNAKE?? And then he saw IT! He turned around and didn't say another word. I never heard him be so quiet. I think he couldn't think of any appropriate words at that minute. I will never forget that day, but I never brought any more animals to school.

 
Ouida Tomlinson Oh Maxine Strickland I knew you would have a good snake story to make me feel better. LOL I knew one would visit me sooner or later and have dreaded the day. I have stray cat who lives under my house - I hope he is taking care of the country mice. Wish he would take on snakes as well.

 
Martha Markline Hopkins Love your story, Maxine.

 
Ouida Tomlinson My niece's husband has removed snake!!

Maxine Strickland Maxine Strickland We have carpet in our bedrooms only. Several weeks ago, our black lab was sniffing curiously at the foot of our bed. I didn't see anything, but occasionally a bug will come through our French Doors that lead out onto our patio. After a few minutes of watching her chase "Nothing", I decided to investigate myself. I saw what looked like a small brown worm. It was about the size of a toothpick. It wasn't a centipede, because it didn't have legs. I picked it up to put it back outside in the planter, and then I saw a teeny-tiny tongue come out of one end. I went and got a magnifying glass and sure enough it had teeny-tiny eyes and a teeny-tiny tongue. It was a snake. I headed for my Field Guide Book on snakes, and it was a Blind Snake, and they eat ant larva. I took him in to show my husband, who is a big weenie when it comes to snakes. He jumped back and said, "Will it BITE, and Is it POISIONOUS?" I had to laugh at him. What part of our human body could it possibly bite? And how much venom could it have? HaHa

Ouida Tomlinson I'm with your husband. We would have to sit on the weenie bench.

 
James David Harwell I talked to a preacher today who said a MOCCASIN crawled in a window on them. Did you ever identify the species of said snake?

 
Sue Clinton Russell We'll when you live in the country you will see snakes. We have copperheads, I killed 4 last year with Y l

 
Sue Clinton Russell My long handled hoe. Go buy a hoe ouida . It makes me feel safe.

 
Ouida Tomlinson J A M E S - call Shelia.

 
Ouida Tomlinson Sue, what is a Y I

 
Sue Clinton Russell That was a mistake. My fingers are always messing up. You really do need a hoe. That's what we always use when we don't need a gun.

 
Ouida Tomlinson I think I have a hoe - under the house as I have no place to put such things yet at this Oxford house. I guess I need to put on porch, huh?, Sue Clinton Russell .

Sue Clinton Russell Yes so you can reach it quickly.

 
James David Harwell But still keep that gun handy - the big one, too.

 
Barbara Panagiotou You can also put moth balls around the house. That's what i do and it works great, at least for us.

 
Ouida Tomlinson Thanks Barbara. I think I have some. Does anyone else have any suggestions to keep snakes out of my yard. I have a large yard.

 
Cherryle Fruge Mothballs all over your yard & close to the house too. This will run them off.

 
Ouida Tomlinson Going to spread mothballs and also want a gun for my birthday to kill invaders including snakes. Decided rather have gun than a hoe because I can be further away - hoe puts me closer than I want to be.

Maxine Strickland When I was growing up, I remember my Daddy and brothers peeing around our campsite. He said snakes and varmints would not cross this line! So if you know enough men and boys, you might try this method. I don't know how you can go about asking a group of males to come to your house and do that. It could make for an interesting party. I googled this to see if there was any truth to it, and it was factual. I doubt if the snakes can tell the difference between male and female urine. It is just a suggestion. HeeHee

Maxine Strickland Can you read this? M R Snakes! M R Not! O S M R, C M E D B D Eyes? L I B ! M R Snakes! Translated: Them are Snakes! Them are Not! Oh Yes Them Are, see them itty bitty Eyes? Well I'll Be, Them are Snakes!

 
Ruby Wallenzine · Friends with Maxine Strickland
Knowing Uncle Arnold lee that is. Just one of his Jokes .

 
Ouida Tomlinson Maxine Strickland as to pee, does dog pee and bull pee count? If so, should not be snake within 3 miles. U R so funny.

Maxine Strickland I think pee is pee! HaHa. We have a lot of it around here too.

No comments: