In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Wednesday, November 6, 2013

For Those Who Weep this Night

We have been blessed with long lives, all of us being about 73 years old.  We have known the joys of family, friends, perhaps children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and the joys and benefits of many of life's successes.  We have had a rich heritage of faith and values to guide us along the way. 
Our childhood was the best of times, although we may have been poor and things were not perfect.  We and our parents were members of the Greatest Generation.  Life has been great!!  Do I hear an amen?

One of the downsides of our long lives is that we have lost many of our family and friends.  We have lost parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, spouses and tragically, children and grandchildren.  There is no sorrow like the sorrow of losing children and grandchildren.  When I think upon the death of one's child, my heart repeats, over and over, an Old Testament verse from Lamentations, "Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by?  Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow, which was brought upon me . . . ."

When my mother was about my age, I gave her a copy of a prayer from Compline in the Book of Common Prayer from the Episcopal Church.  She framed it and kept it by her bed.  She prayed it before she went to sleep at night.  I pray this prayer tonight for all of you.
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep.  Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake.  Amen.



ABIDE WITH ME

Abide with me fast falls the eventide,
The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

Night surely comes to end this passing day,
Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see
O Lord who does not change, abide with me!

I need your presence every passing hour,
What else but grace can foil temptation’s power?
Who else like you will guide and stay with me?
Thru cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!

I have no fear with you close by each day,
Trouble and sorrow swiftly pass away;
And at my end death will not conquer me
For I shall live if you abide with me.

Your holy cross, your resurrection,
Come shining through the gloom with hope salvation;
As morning breaks and as faint shadows flee
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me!

Words: Henry F. Lyte, 1793-1847
Music: William Henry Monk, 1823-1889

No comments: