In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Monday, April 16, 2012

Another Vignette by Maxine (It's another snake story, y'all.)

Never a day goes by that something exciting doesn't happen, but I just don't have time to write it down. This was almost another day, but I will tell you about what happened. I wish I had a video to send to AFV. I am sure I would win something.

Use your visual eye to see this picture unfold.

I have a sewing room in the corner of our shop which is across the driveway. This shop has all of "MY" woodworking tools in it, along with 4-wheelers, and "Junk" and "Stuff". Above this 24 X 72 feet shop is an apartment where my older brother lives. We use this shop daily. It has a full bathroom, and one of our hens prefers to lay her daily egg in one of the corners. A lot goes on in this shop, but nothing like what happened yesterday to me.

I went over there to do some mending in my sewing room. I keep it locked because I have my entire collection of scissors, patterns, cloth, quilting odds and ends, ironing board, cutting table, and just my stuff in this room. It is air conditioned and has a comfortable office chair with rolling wheels and a telephone. So it is a quiet place to get away to, and I love to sew.

"Quiet" can change in a split second. I turned on my magnifying lamp so I could see how to thread my Singer sewing machine. I had set up the ironing board to press the hem I was about to sew. I was looking forward to some quiet time, when I heard a crinkling noise behind my sewing machine and a wicker basket to the right. I listened quietly and decided it could be a mouse or a lizard or snake. It was only about a foot from where I was sitting, so I stood up and leaned over to see if I could tell what it was. I saw about 4 inches of a rat snake. I could tell that he was big because he was bigger than a wiener, but not as big as a hot dog bun. I know how to gauge things this way. Ha Ha.

I concluded he was about 5 feet, and I decided he was looking for a mouse, because I also saw mouse droppings back there. I didn't want this snake to get into my bag of fiber fill stuff which was right there also, so I watched the snake to see which way he was moving. I wanted to catch his tail to pull him out.

At the exact split second that I touched this snake, the telephone rang! I jumped, hit my head on the magnifying lamp, fell back into my chair with rolling wheels, scooted across the room into the ironing board, knocked it over and hit the cutting table. My sewing room was turned upside down, and I'm not even afraid of snakes.

The telephone almost killed me! My brother came down and asked "What Happened!" We had a good laugh, and I spent the next hour cleaning up my sewing room.

What happened to the snake, you ask???? He is probably telling his story somewhere in the next county. Somehow he managed to get away and survive. I put out mothballs to stop any more activity in my quiet peaceful sewing room. 

This morning, all is calm in The Garden of Eatin' but things can change in a split second.

No comments: