In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Monday, July 20, 2009

What Were You Doing the Day They Walked on the Moon?

E-mail your answers for posting below. scribe564@bellsouth.net

JIMMY SATTERFIELD: I was working in NASA's Mission Control center in Houston on this day 40 years ago. I worked at NASA as an engineer for Ford (Philco-Ford) company during the Apollo program and especially remember working on the Apollo 11 and 13 missions. Feel very fortunate to have been able to work there from 1967 to 1972 and see history in the making. Have a great day, Jimmy

PEGGY EDWARDS: My Daughters were 2 and 9 and I was a stay at home mom. We lived in Bonita and I remember walking out on the porch that night and looking up at the moon, marveling that this had happened during my lifetime.

JAMES E. MINOR SMITH: Thoughts that come to mind on "Moon Walk Day". In 1969, I had completed my time in VietNam and was assigned as an instructor to the 5th Tactical Control Group at Clark AB. My family had joined me in Dec. '68. So, I watched (in awe) the moon walk on TV. My wife and my children Stephanie and Mike watched with me at our rented house in Angeles City, Republic of the Philippines. Anne was pregnant at the time and my son Douglas was born on my 30th birthday Dec. 11, 1969. Doug was born at the Clark AB Hospital. His birth certificate was recorded at the building in Angeles City which was used by General Douglas MacArthur as his headquarters during WWII. I later supported the space program during assignments to Thule, Greenland (74-75) and was more involved at Cobra Dane on Shemya Island, Alaska (77-78).

MARTHA MARKLINE HOPKINS: I was a Meridian High School English, French, and Spanish teacher who was visiting native friends in Honduras. I had left my 2 little children at home in the care of my husband, mother, and a housekeeper. I spent 6 weeks there, and believe me, by the time I left, I was quite fluent if I hadn't been before! I listened to the moon walk in Spanish on a short wave radio while lying in a hammock (hamaca), looking at the green parrots in the grapefruit trees. The experience was quite surreal from many aspects.


No comments: