In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Friday, July 31, 2009

'Possum Hunting

By Maxine Reeder Strickland
I was just sitting here thinking about Carolyn Gipson Falcon, one of our classmates, and one of my best friends. Her Mother, Margie Joiner, died two weeks ago, and I knew Carolyn was busy.

I met Carolyn in 7th grade, and I felt so honored to be her friend. She was, in my opinion, very rich. Her Dad was a lawyer, and her Grandfather was a Judge. She lived in a beautiful rich looking home, and she had pretty clothes. I lived on a dirt road north of town and we were in the process of moving into our new house that would have a bathroom inside, with electric lights in every room and running water in the sink, but we had a long way to go to catch up with the Gipsons.

I saw Carolyn's room with beautiful furniture, big pretty mirrows, and a comfy bed. I was embarrassed to bring this rich girl to my home, but we were friends and she accepted me for who I was. I didn't realize I was much richer than she was, because you can't put a price tag on Love and Fun.

She preferred to spend the week-ends at my house because there was so much to do. We built treehouses, climbed trees, played country jig, camped out in the woods, and went 'possum hunting. Yes, 'POSSUM HUNTING.

We had a black neighbor that lived down the road about 1/2 mile from us. He told us "young-uns" that if we brought him a live 'possum, he would give Mama a laying hen. There was a creek that ran through the back of our property and across the road at the bottom of the hill. My brothers and I were always seeing critters in the creek, so I asked Carolyn if she would like to go 'Possum hunting real early the next morning. Of course she said YES!!!

So, Carolyn, my younger brother Jerry, and I were going to spent the night in our old empty house and get up before dawn to go hunting. Carolyn was always brave and willing to do whatever I suggested. Early the next morning, just before daybreak, we leave Jerry asleep on the pallet (you do know what a pallet is don't you?) and we creep down to the bottom of the hill. We could barely see each other, but we knew it would be getting daylight soon. Never once did we think about being scared. What was there to be scared of back then?

Then we saw movement.

God really must have had a sense of humor when he created these critters. This was a really large one and very worthy of a nice laying hen for Mama.

I told Carolyn to go pick him up by his tail. I had done that several times before with no problem, and I wanted Carolyn to experience the fun and excitement. She tried to be brave, but when he opened his mouth and made that hissing sound, Carolyn started running but her legs weren't moving her body. She was so funny.

We caught the 'possum, and Carolyn got her brave back. Now we were ready for the real fun to begin. Remember my brother back at the old house asleep on the pallet? Something made us go put that hissing critter on him, and you should have seen him wake up. We felt like Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit. We found our Laughin' Place and stayed there for a long time before we finally took him to Ole Judge Potis. He cooked him up with some sweet potatoes and lots of black pepper, and collard greens.

Now that was some good eatin' (once). I have never eaten another 'possum since, but we did get a dozen laying hens that summer.

2 comments:

John Chancellor said...

That was so funny. I can just see you'll catching that possum.

It is so great to have such wonderful and vivid memories and then to be able to share them with others.

Truly a treasure.

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Wonderful writing. I enjoyed that. I lived up the next hill from the Potis family, but Mama didn't let me go catchin' possums. What fun.