In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Sunday, April 12, 2009

Visit the Garden of Eatin'

To all of my classmates who can't come here for a visit, let me take you on an imaginary tour.

Would you like to visit with me in my swing? I never get to spend any time with you, so I thought this would be at least different, and something you would enjoy. Become a child again and listen to the sounds.

I built me a swing under a trellis of Wisteria, and it is completely shaded. I hung two hummingbird feeders among the vines, and a mother mockingbird has claimed a corner of my trellis for herself.

My swing is wide enough for three people to visit, and it makes a long gentle swing as you push off just a little. I like it best in the early afternoon when the air is still. I do my best thinking here.

Let's take a tour. Hop on the "Mule", which is a four-wheel version. Fifty feet from the back patio is a lily pond with frogs, fish, lotus blossoms and lots of other critters, all of which make their own sounds. There is the goose and his family of various kinds of ducks that have just appeared. Alongside this pond, you will see tons of petrified palm wood that I gathered around here and hauled in to make a border. Some of the pieces are big enough to sit on and feed the fish and ducks. There is one really big bass in this pond. He is the "big fish in a small pond" that you hear about. We can always find him, because he makes a wave as he swims.

The chickens and guineas have come up to the mule to pick at whatever morsel of grain gets dropped. It is so much fun to watch the guineas races late in the afternoon, before they all head for the safe roost of the hen house. Now we can ride over the levee to see the herd of antelope. At last count, we had fifteen. The does are the color of regular deer, but the bucks are black and white and brown, especially during breeding season. The buck master is always the darkest, and he rules over the herd and is on constant watch. The other four bucks, we call them the bachelors, stay on the opposite side of the big lake. Five babies have been born this month, with one set of twins. They are so precious to watch. They love to run and spring up down.

Let's ride over the dam, which is about three hundred feet, to the other side of the big lake. Look, there are the moochers. They are the Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks from Mexico. Texas Parks and Wildlife says they are not supposed to be here, and we tell them to leave, but they are here to eat us out of house and home. They are ducks, but they roost in the trees at night and they do not quack. They whistle. Their eyes, and feet and legs are red. Listen!! They are whistling at us. I let them stay for that reason. It boosts my moral.

Now we can go to the cabin up by the front lake. The water is low right now from lack of rain, but when the lake is full, it comes up to the back porch. There is a hammock if you would like to take a nap. This is one of my favorite places to watch the wildlife. The cabin is one big open room 30 ft by 40 ft, except for the bathroom. It has a wood burning heater, air conditioner and all of the modern conveniences except for a telephone. I don't want one up here.

We had better go feed the longhorns. We have six, with long horn spans of six feet or more. They are very gentle and fun to feed. Their size can be overwhelming to city people. It is more fun for me to watch the city people try to feed them. The cubes always end up getting dropped.

The donkeys are fun also. They love to be petted and fed.

A delicate mist from a late afternoon rain is hovering low on the lush green landscape. The mockingbird is sitting on top of one of the pines singing her favorite songs, and the cricket and bullfrogs are beginning to chirp and croak.

Late in the afternoon, the day bird's songs get fewer and quieter as they wrap up the day’s work and head for their roosts. Look!! A beautiful male Ruby Throat Hummingbird pauses on the feeder at the other end of my swing to take a sip. I have had them land on me to investigate a flowered shirt.

The swing squeaks occasionally, a good comforting sound, and soon you will notice that the trees are dark against the still light sky. Mama mockingbird gives a sassy chirp from her nest and thinks my swing is just a bit too close for her comfort. A dragonfly zooms past me in search for supper. It is dusk dark now and from the woods across the lake, a whippoorwill calls. Is there a more beautiful, haunting sound in the world??

I've noticed that the air has turned a little cooler and a nice breeze is touching my face. The sky in the east is dark, and soon, even the light in the west fades gently until you become immersed in the warm southern night. There goes a firefly winking his little light around the front yard. The bullfrogs are in full voice, filling the air with summer songs, that are as familiar to us as our own voices. So many of my cherished childhood memories have this for background music.

Look, the first star is beginning to twinkle!!! Every time I see my first star of the night, I remember a little song I learned as a three year old. "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. Wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight...”

I wish you could have been with me in person today, but your visit was special to me. I enjoyed your company. I think I will stay a little while longer, and think about missing you. You can come back and visit any time.

With my love,

Maxine

3 comments:

Jinny Curran Walz said...

Maxine,
Only through your eyes and your words could our classmates experience what we (my family and me) enjoyed during our visit. I'm so glad you painted the picture with your language facility, something that I could not have done. I loved reliving our day through your senses as it brought to mind exactly what we all felt as we rumbled over the terrain in the "mule." Again, thank you for sharing your life and your love with us.

Jinny

John Chancellor said...

I think as we get caught up in the "hurry up and get there world" we forget to stop and take in all the wonderful things that are going on around us.

Your beautiful description of your day certainly made me stop and reflect how often we are so busy we can't see the beauty that is all around us. Thanks for making me slow down and reflect.

I have to admit I might not do good at feeding the longhorns. But I do love how you describe everything is such detail.

Thanks for sharing.

Little Scribe said...

You paint like an artist but with words. All my senses have perked up. For a moment, I have closed my eyes. I can feel the breeze on my face and hear the sounds of nature and the swing going back and forth. I'm reminded of my grandmother's porch and all the many times I spent with her. Listen - listen to the creak of the swing - one sound forward and a different one back.