In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hello From Texas

This is a true story that could only happen at Wal-Mart. I need to fill you in on a couple of details first, before I continue with my story.

I have a dachshund that weighs about 10-12 pounds and he is a paraplegic, paralyzed in his back legs. He gets around fine, dragging his back feet, and he has wheels that strap on to his back end when the weather permits him to go outside. We have chosen NOT to have him undergo surgery because there is no guarantee that it will correct his problem. He wears a diaper around his belly to cover his wee-wee. It will not fit him the conventional way. With this information, you can now understand this story.

Yesterday, I really needed to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a few items that would make my recovery easier. It was my first time to drive myself since the last surgery, and I went alone. I parked in a handicap section, hobbled in and got myself an electric cart and headed for the baby section. There is a lady that works in that section who is a real smarty mouth. We had a discussion about a month ago over Dr. Smith's Diaper ointment vs Butt Paste. She didn't stock the Dr. Smith's which is the best, and it doesn't hurt animals or babies.

I knew exactly which brand and what size diaper fits "Copper" the best. The size I needed, Huggies, #5 overnight, was on the top shelf, which meant I was going to have to ask for help. "She" came over and asked if she could help me. I said, "Yes, please get me THAT bag of diapers." Instead, she tried to sell me on a cheaper brand that I wasn't familiar with. I told her "No, I know what size fits him best." Then she asked me "How much does the CHILD weigh?" I said "about 10-12 pounds."

She said "Oh, NO, You need to buy the NEWBORN size." I told her that I didn't put it on him the conventional way, I used it as a belly band to cover his "wee-wee". I thought she was going to call security on me, for cruelity to a child. Then I realized she didn't know WHAT this child was. I explained to her his situation. Then I asked her to get me a big box of NURSING PADS. She didn't have the nerve to ask me WHAT FOR, and she left.

My husband has a big diabetic ulcer on his leg, and the nursing pads are wonderful to use as a bandage. It was either that or Kotex. Hey, I'm resourceful. Just because a kitten was born in an oven, it doesn't make him a biscuit.

Maxine

No comments: