In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More Critter Stories by Maxine

Maxine tells such good stories about her life down on the farm and with all the animals. I asked her if I could post more stories from some of her recent e-mails. Of course, she said yes. I hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Ouida

From Maxine:

Every day when I wake up, I know that God has given me another 24 hours to enjoy. I start looking for the pleasure and happiness that is there, and I almost always find it. When I start getting depressed with all of this pain, I go find an animal to hug, and my rewards are always there. I may get a little slobber on me, but I know it is with love.

Last night, we were trying to get our 4 dachshunds inside for bed and they had a 'possum on the back patio. I told them they couldn't bring him inside. My dogs sleep in a real baby bed in our bedroom. They are so precious, but they kept dreaming of the 'possum last night. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

I wonder what will delight me today???

* * * * * *
After my first husband died (Billy Faulkner) and I met Wanzie Strickland (Bill). He pestered me to marry him and promised to help me raise my 3 children. He said IF I would marry him, he would only hold me to that vow for 50 years, IF I would move to Texas with him, so that he could make a decent living. I countered with, "Only IF you will let me live in the country". That
was December 1963. The deal was made. We moved to Texas, bought a home, started a successful fastener business, and were still living in the city.

Fast forward to May 1999. I wanted to retire to the country, so I reminded him of our vows. I had kept mine by staying married to him, but he had not bought me that country place that he promised. I reminded him. He said "OK, you find it and I will buy it." I did.
We bought this place with a home and lots of land and a hugh ravine running through the property and lots of pine trees. We started clearing, dammed up the ravine in 4 places and almost surrounded our home with lakes. Of course we started adding barns, chicken house, tractors, 4 wheel mules, and lots of animals.
We built a long barn, 72 feet with an apartment over it, and that is where Ozell lives [Ozell being her brother]. He has been a lot of help to me since I broke my foot and ankle 2 years ago.
It has been one adventure after another. Everyone loves to come here on vacation. Every day we sit outside and watch the animals. We have 13 black buck antelopes, 5 are bucks. Right now they are squareing off for buckmaster of the herd. They are so interesting to watch. They come right up to the house. We have longhorns, donkeys, chickens, ducks of various kinds, and several predator animals including bobcats.

Bill and I have been married for 45 years in December. I keep telling him that I only have 5 years to go. HeeHee. Yes, life can be interesting and fun if you make it so. Everyone gets the same 24 hours every day. I just choose to make mine happy.

This foot thing has been totally uncalled for. I could sue several doctors, but I would spend the rest of my life dealing with lawyers. There is no happiness in that. I have survived, and maybe they learned something from their mistakes. I have lost 2 good years of walking around this place, but by being confined, I have had time to catch up on my reading and spent quality
time with my family. Bill bought me a good pair of binoculars so that I can see across the big lake and watch the island.

I'm so sorry I missed the reunion, but the blogs have really help me. I love hearing from all of you. Please stay in touch .
With country love and best wishes,
Maxine

No comments: