In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Saturday, September 6, 2008

Joyce Bailey Rider - Autobiography

Many changes in my life during the last 5 years. I retired from Mississippi Baptist Health Systems in 2006 after 20 years of service, serving as payroll coordinator from 1995-2006. As some of you may remember I wasn't able to attend the last reunion because my husband of 42 years (Terry Hinton) was gravely ill with cancer. He fought a courageous and brave battle with cancer; however he died on Labor Day of 2004. He leaves me and our 2 children and their families with wonderful memories.

A wonderful new chapter of my life's history began in April 2007. I met a wonderful man from North Little Rock Arkansas, Jerry D Rider. We were married on August 16 of this year and are in the process of moving my household to North Little Rock, AR . You might find it interesting to know that David Elliott married Jerry and I. David and Gay Love are very dear to me in many ways.

We have been and will continue to travel through the U.S. Jerry is quite active incarriage restoration and drives horses as a hobby. (By the way, we do travel by car or airplane). This is very different for me; however, I really enjoy his hobby. Actually I will make an attempt to learn how to drive a carriage as time goes on. Due to a carriage trip to Stockbridge, MA in early October I will not be able to attend the reunion. I enjoy spending time with my only grandson, Mason Benton, who lives in Birmingham AL. I keep Interstate 20 hot at times. I can tell you that I will miss being in MISSISSIPPI in more ways than one. It is farther to Birmingham from Arkansas. In addition to being a grandmother I spend time with my sister and her family at their place in Orange Beach, AL.

I appreciate the efforts that the committee has put forth to make this reunion a successful event. I continue to treasure the memories of Meridian and the Class of 1958. If you run across a picture of the concert band, look at the 7th chair clarinet and you will see me! That's the best I could do and still carry a baton. Thanks to Mr. Jenks and Mr. Wendling. Does this bring back memories for some of you????

Have a good time and laugh for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joyce, thanks for your post. Having been away from Jackson for so long, I was not aware of your second marriage. It sounds like life continues for you in a great manner. Sorry you are not going to make the reunion. I really look forward to being there as I missed the last two. Take care.