In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Friday, July 4, 2008

Up Against the Wall

The time is early 70's. The place is The Gin, Oxford, Mississippi. The Gin had been the cotton gin but was converted to a place to eat and drink, originally with live bands. It was meant to appeal to the student population at Ole Miss.

My friends and I went one night, within the first week or so after it opened. The place was packed. There was a mixed group. All the little old ladies in town had come to investigate along with professionsals such as attorneys from the U. S. Attorney's Office where I worked, other town folk and then, of course, students. All was going well until the band began to play "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother." I looked around the room at the little old ladies and other town folk. I did not see any rednecks but I saw a sea of red faces, most smiling shyly. This song ended the patronage of the little old ladies to the Gin (they came, they saw, they went), and it was left primarily to the students.

After I moved from Oxford, I came back on business in the late 70's and went by the Gin with a friend. I ordered a Jack Daniels old fashioned (wanting one just like my Daddy made for me). I waited and waited for my drink. Then I noticed the bartender with a book in his hand and others gathered around him. It appeared that my order was beyond the scope of his expertise which was limited to opening beer. I was served eventually with great concern on the bartender's part as to whether or not I was happy with my drink. I was. Here's to memories that bring smiles.

1 comment:

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Funny story. I can just see those little ladies' faces at The Gin!