In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stepping from the Elevator

I remember it plain as day. It was last year. I had an appointment with my "stent doctor" at Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans. I rushed from the house like Dagwood trying to catch the bus and drove like a mad woman to make the trip from the Mississippi Coast. Late! Hurry, hurry, hurry. Across the twin spans from Slidell, up and down the High Rise, speeding down I-10. Then round and round the parking garage at Ochsner to find a parking place and running. Up the elevator to the third floor. It opened. I stepped out. Oh!! . . Oh!!

When I crossed the threshold of the elevator on the third floor that day, I crossed a threshold unseen but recognized in an instant. It was a leaving behind and an entering into. I laughed at myself and my new-found situation as I approached the receptionist. I stood before her, giggling like a school girl. When I said that I just realized I was a day early for my appointment, there were big smiles all around and others joined my giggling. Then I made my big announcement: "I have just become a little old lady." There were more smiles, but behind my smile was that certainty of my new title along with the thought "Where do I go from here?"

4 comments:

John Chancellor said...

There is a great lesson in your story. The lesson can be a blessing or a danger. When you think you become something - you do.

I often work with people struggling on the other end of the spectrum ... to become something they find difficult to achieve. If I can get them to believe they can become something - they can.

My suggestion is never believe you are something you don't want to be. On the other hand, believing you are something you want to be is the first step in becoming that.

But from my observations of your post, the time and energy dedicated to the blog, you are far from a "little old lady".

Little Scribe said...

Fortunately, my role model is my mother who continued to laugh and learn throughout her life and stayed very independent. Also, my Franciscan friends are very much like her. Together, we find ourselves amusing and our faith and each other very life giving.

David N. James said...

Funny story, Ouida. The going a day early is no reason to see yourself as " a little old lady". It"s if you ever have a "Where do I go from here?" thought while driving that might give you cause to start a little old lady dialogue with yourself.The question I have is did your charming declaration work? Did the doctor take you anyway?

Little Scribe said...

Ahh. David, good question! Yes, the doctor saw me. I was very grateful as the thought of having to repeat the road race again the very next day was more than I could bear.