In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Senior Moments

Ouida had posted an interesting story - stepping off the elevator - which reminded me of an incident that happened to me a few weeks ago.

Senior Moments

For those of you that might find senior moments happening more often, rest assured that senior moments are not the exclusive domain of seniors. Let me elaborate.

I was going to pick up lunch from Arby’s and had a coupon which allowed you to buy up to eight regular roast beef sandwiches at the price of 2 for $4. I ordered four regulars plus a large order of fries (I know they are not good for you – no need to remind me) and a large ice tea.

I drove up to the window and the young man said, “Eight Seventy-two.”

I immediately blurted out, “Can’t be.”

He looked at me with a stunned expression on his face, “What do you mean?”

I replied, “I ordered four regulars at 2 for $4, so that is $8, plus fries and an ice tea – should be around $11 – 12.”

He very politely explained that my order was 2 for $4, so that was $4, plus the fries and ice tea. So that came to $8.72.

“But I had four regulars” I replied.

“Did you want 8?” he inquired.

“No, just four, but at 2 for $4, that alone is $8.”

I made a couple of additional attempts to explain the math to him. He had his mind made up and part of that was I did not know how to add.

He then gave me this look like – why do I get these folks that can’t add or subtract and said in a rather icy voice, “Your total is $8.72 – PLEASE.”

I figured I had tried to be honest. I just paid him the $8.72 and took my food and drove off. I did wonder where he went to school or if he ever did.

Senior have no lock on senior moments.

3 comments:

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Funny! Some of these folks are employees from hell.

Little Scribe said...

We're on a roll today!!

I bet there are lots of good senior moment stories just waiting to be posted by our class.

Wait until I tell y'all about my hearing birds singing in the night.

Jinny Curran Walz said...

At a discount store during the busy season of Christmas with a cart filled to overflowing and on an evening just before the holiday, she proceeded to check out. The checker looked at the gloves on the conveyer belt, couln't find a price, so she asked my friend if she remembered the price of the gloves as noted on the display.
She confessed she couldn't remember; the checker then called for a price check. After what seemed like an eternity with the line growing behind her, a price came back. Finally she gathered her purchases, leaving the store with thoughts about the next day's lesson plans and must-do tasks to do to be ready for Christmas. When she got home she discovered she had purchased her own pair of gloves!
(This was a friend - not I - and that's a promise!)