In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Thursday, July 24, 2008

Maxine Reeder Strickland - Autobiography

5455 Hwy 77 North
LaGrange, TX 78945

I want to share a most memorable Christmas with all of you. My husband, Wanzie Strickland, class of ‘54, and I still live on our farm in Texas. We have all kind of animals, and in the house we have at least two of everything. Last July, I had to have one of my feet reconstructed after a badly broken foot and ankle, and I was laid up for several months. I had a lot of time on my hands to think about what was important. Christmas was approaching, so in September, I emailed all four of my children and told them that I did NOT want anything that had to be FED, WATERED, WORN, DUSTED, or PLACED ON A SHELF. All I wanted was to be able to spend three days with each of them, ALONE. Quality time alone without any responsibility. Nothing was ever mentioned after this request, and I had sorta forgotten it with all the pain pills I had been taking.

On Christmas eve, we all gathered at our cabin by the lake and began our exchange of gifts. Then my oldest daughter, Debbie said, “Mom, you had a special request back in September, so this is what I have come up with. I have made reservations for just you and me to go to Wimberly, Texas to a cabin in the woods with a deck and a hot tub.” My daughter is a massage therapist, so I will get pampered. She said, “There are two rocking chairs on the back deck, and we can rock, sing, share stories, and just talk about the last 50 years.” I can really enjoy this.

My second daughter, Scarlet, who lives in the city, said, “Mom, you never get to go to a mall or fancy restaurant, to to a movie, so for three days, we will be doing these things.” I can enjoy this also and spend time with my grandchildren.

My oldest son, Dennis, said, “Mom, I have made arrangements for us to go to Hot Springs, Arkansas, the first of May and even pan for diamonds there.” Then he gave me a box that had a leather jacket in it with a sign that said, “BIKER MOM”. He has a Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. I said, “OH NO!”

My youngest son, Shane said, “Mom, get yourself a passport, because in August I will be taking you to HUNGARY with me.” He owns a business in Texas and Hungary. I will get to walk along the Blue Danube River and see Budapest. Wow! I have my passport. Then in October I will be going to our 50th reunion and see all of you. What a year. Next Christmas I have already asked for a DUMPSTER. See you in October.

4 comments:

Little Scribe said...

What a wonderful story!! You are a jewel and so are your children. I've enjoyed meeting you again and sharing e-mails. Thanks so much for this post.

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

What great children you have! And you surely knew what to ask for. Thanks for posting.

Jinny Curran Walz said...

Maxine,
Your story is one of the most exciting and endearing accounts I've read. Your children have been reared well! What lovely gifts you have and will receive. Can't wait to hear all about them.

David N. James said...

Maxine,

What a great family! It's pretty clear you get a lot of love and respect from your kids.

Many times I've thought I would like to live so in touch with the land as you seem to be. Sounds idyllic. But the flannel shirts and Wranglers is unfortunately about as close as I'll get. Most of my relatives on my father's side lived in Texas.

I'd love to be kicking back on a porch in the evening with a cold Shiner Bock at a place like yours, listening to musical tributes to Townes Van Zandt by Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen, Rodney Crowell, Mickey Newberry and others. Yes, idyllic.

Thanks so much for your post. Glad you are coming to the 50th. Maybe we should have a conclave of the Witherspoon folks. Oh, the stories we could tell