In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

State of Befuddlement

I freely admit to being in a state of befuddlement. Now there are some (probably more than a few) who might say that is my normal state. And it is not the purpose here to debate that point. I would hate to muddle the issue by losing or winning that debate.

My state of confusion comes from the failure of people to take an active part in the blog. I know how difficult it is to set-up and monitor a forum of this type. Ouida and Jinny have really put forth a lot of effort so that people can reconnect, or just connect, share personal information, views and in general develop some dialouge. David is constantly posting music videos. A couple of others have posted interesting tidbits. But there is rarely any dialouge developed.

So it ain't working. I don't know why. I would like for someone to clue me in.

Are most of our classmates still living in the pre-Windows era?

Are most of the classmates so far advanced socially that they cannot connect with the common folks?

Is your life so boring that you think no one cares to hear about you, your career, your grandchildren, your travels and your hopes and dreams?

Or is your life so fast paced, so caught up in the hectic world that you have no time for such stuff?

Is it all of the above?

Someone please let me know. I can't stand a mystery going unsolved. And this is really bugging me.

5 comments:

David N. James said...

Hear, Hear, John. OK, I lied and Miss Ouida and Miss Jin may ban me for life since I promised to retire my, obnoxious to some, disgusting to others, texting on the Blog. But, I share your frustration. I suppose it's possible that nothing of note, worth sharing, has happened to some folks since the '45th... their lives frozen in time... as it were. Were I Ouida, and the whole world is thankful that I'm not, after, say 6/30/08, failing to get their auto-bios, I would simply re-publish their 45th booklet info and be done with it.

To those who don't know (or care to know) creating and maintaining this Blog has taken hours and hours of time. Were this a commercial undertaking, it would cost the class several thousand dollars. I would be insulted, if I got so few posts and/or comments of encouragement or thanks. Of course, Ouida and Jinny are far more gracious than I am.( (and who isn't?) What do we have 8, 9 at the most, auto-bios up? After 6 weeks? John, I share your quandary and willingly accept any "flaming" from the "lurkers" for this comment. Yes, now I've proven, if not before, that I'm a total A/H.

Little Scribe said...

I thank you both and Jinny for your support as well as those who have posted, made comments or sent photos and material for me to post for them. I also thank those who visit this blog - 8203, as I write, since May 4th.

Anyone who can read and follow directions and who has the skills to obtain an e-mail address and send e-mails has the skill level to sign up for this blog and post.

That failing, anyone who has an e-mail address can send me material to post for them. I will gladly do this although posting one's own stuff is more fun.

Anyone who has a computer, can find this blog on the internet, has the skill level to click "comment" and write something after a post. You don't have to sign up for the blog to comment. Anyone, friend or foe, has access to the comment section.

Anyone can ask for e-mail or telephone help.

You learn by doing and by letting go of fear. Last fall I had never seen a blog. I didn't know anything about them. I had no directions or anyone to help me. Now I'm responsible for four and do all the writing for three.

I am ashamed to say that I have spent well over 300 hours on this blog. Ashamed because it has taken me so much time to produce the product, giving it all I have to give, all for so little participation. You must think I'm real dummy.

Yes, if this were a commercial venture, it would cost several thousand dollars.

I asked for feedback and suggestions from the committee. Patsy, bless her heart, responded.

When I volunteered to do all the posting for everyone and then when I posted a recipe for biscuits, let it be known that I hit bottom.

I am so very, very sorry that there is so very little participation. This is purely a personal statement - having to do with my own feelings - I'm heart broken. And I am past exhausted.

I can hear people saying, "We didn't ask you to do this." No you didn't. I did it for love of the class. Love has no right to complain. If I had it all to do over, I would do the same thing again. It has been a humbling experience.

Again, I thank all of you who have participated. I suggest to this group that we simply continue on, posting and sharing from time to time. The success or failure of this blog is now up to the class to make it their own.

David and John, thanks again, for your public and private support. Don't fret anymore. May I never vent again about this blog.

Let's go forward and start having more fun. Don't let the situation rob us of our joy.

Tee Mann said...

Dear John,

Befuddled? So am I. Befuddled because I cannot conceive how you have time for blogging. I am indeed appreciative to Ouida and Jinny who have jumpstarted the blog and all I can say is that your lives are structured much differently than mine. I get up at 6am, read the paper, work 10 hours, have dinner, talk to my daughters or friends, spend time with one of six grandchildren, read, go to the movies, exercise, go to the grocery, tend to condo board business, teach, oh, and attend to 100 professional emails a day or 15 other things each week before I collapse into bed at 11pm. Failure to blog is not lack of interest in my high school friends; the press of my day to day life just trumps blogging. I will continue to be an occasional blogger.

Tee Mann

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

I do understand that we have varied lives, some with more time for blogging than others, but I really wonder why many simply lurk and not post a bit about themselves and a picture or 2. We would all love it. And Tee, you did post some interesting stuff, which was enjoyed by all, I'm sure.

Little Scribe said...

Dear Tee: As I e-mailed you privately, you have made an A plus in blogging on the class blog with your earlier post and photos. They were all I hope for from
everyone, and I appreciate your contribution so very much, especially since I know you struggled to get it there and are so busy.

Your comment here to John's post supports the point that there is no excuse for folks not to support this blog with a contribution. Even with your busy schedule, you were able to do so and took the time to go through the learning process, e-mailing questions and asking for assistance. I wish others would do the same.

Blessings,
Ouida

P.S. to the Class: Again I say to everyone, I am available to assist via telephone or e-mail, and I will be happy to post your photos and material for you. You only have to ask and send the material to me. If you don't want to ask me or Jinny, ask your grandchildren for assistance.

This is supposed to be a joint effort by the whole class with internet access - not just the work of a few. More dialogue and commenting would be good too.

Thank you again to everyone who has participated. We hope that everyone will join in.

Blessings,
Ouida