In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our deceased classmates

Shocked. That is the only word I can think of. I was reading the blog, looking forward to our 50th high school reunion. And I came across the list of our classmates who are no longer with us. Fifty-two gone. Shocking is all I can say. I am not sure if this is statistically normal, but to me it seems quite high.

I think the cause of death for those who have passed on could be divided into three major categories. Those who met an early demise by reason of some tragic accident. Those who were cursed by some errant DNA that caused some fatal disease and those who made poor lifestyle choices. There is nothing any of us can really do to protect ourselves from the first two categories. But the third category is the most disturbing because it could have/should have been prevented.

As I review the list, I am reminded how fragile life is. But there is no reason we should meet with an early death because of poor lifestyle choices. I know I have made many poor choices since leaving high school. But hopefully, with age and a little wisdom brought on by some poor experiences, I have learned.

It is really never too late to examine your lifestyle choices. The most tragic death is the one you could have prevented by altering your lifestyle. Just think about it.

2 comments:

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Well, how many were in our graduating class? We could figure the percentage and google it to see if we're above or below average in that regard. It would not be a contest that I'd be happy to win.

Little Scribe said...

Maybe the head count is in our last issue of school paper. Or our reunion committee may have it.

On the topic, I feel grateful I'm not listed at the bottom of our page after having a quadruple by-pass in about 1995 and a few stents the last couple of years. I thought I was very healthy in 1995. Good weight. Exercised daily. Prayed daily. Did not smoke. Surprise. The damage is done and to the extent that lifestyle change cannot correct but perhaps can keep it from getting worse.

The cause for my health problems has been stress, starting with poor marital decision when I was young. Life continued to be hard after that ended as many divorced, single moms know. Yes, I agree. I could have prevented my health problems if I had made better life choices when I was young. Also, I know I internalize stress and that exercise is key to releasing it. I don’t exercise anymore. Bad lifestyle choice. I could walk away from this stressful computer right now and walk around the block to begin feeling better.

Then I think about Katrina. Which category is it in? Lifestyle or accident? This is no excuse, but Katrina has had a big impact on my doing things I should do to take care of myself. I have had a definite decline in health since August 29, 2005. At least after the heart surgery, I came out fighting to overcome. Regaining my health became a full-time job in 1995.

We had only minor damage with Katrina, but all my friends lost homes and so much more. Mississippi Coast communities have lost so much - a way of life and all the things we took for granted such as the grocery store, our favorite doctor, friends, churches and so on. We continue to grieve, if not because of Katrina then because of all that has happened to us and our families since. Life is difficult. Life is hard for friends so close to my heart.

Many of us and our families have had serious health issues since Katrina. I've watched very strong people crumble under the weight of it all - heard the quiver in their voices and saw the pain in their eyes and the tears. Devout people of deep religious faith and lifestyles. Lifestyle isn't always just a decision. Sometimes it can't be changed for the better with a snap of the fingers. Sometimes it is thrust upon us. Sometimes life is so overwhelming that freedom to choose is lost, at least for a while. Sometimes forever.

(I wrote about Hurricane Katrina, the Coast and my friends, and the writing is posted on two websites, one of them here: http://www.ourladyofthepearl.com/in_the_eighth_month.htm )