In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lifestyle Choices

In her post Ouida had stated that she realized that her health problems were directly related to her lifestyle choices. But when we think of lifestyle choices we generally think of physical things we do or don't do, such as how much exercise we get, how much and what we eat.

We rarely think of or appreciate how much our thoughts effect our lifestyle and therefore our health. We spend lots of time, money and energy on our physical appearance, but often very little on developing the emotional side of our lives. We can do all the correct physical activities, but if we don't put the same energy into our emotional well being, we will not gain the lifestyle we are seeking.

Unfortunately we are nearing the age when the emotional wear and tear begins show up in all sorts of physical problems.

The biggest problem I see is people who cannot accept things that happen. They often are holding on to the past, trying to change the outcome of some past event. They may be holding on to regret, the desire for revenge or the guilt associated with some past deed. It is all for naught. There is nothing any of us can do to change any past event. All we can do is learn from it and move on with life.

There are two books that I highly recommend for those who want more insight into how to develop a better emotional lifestyle. The first is As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. The second is A Manual for Living - a Little Book of Wisdom - Epictetus. Both can be read in an hour or so. Simple but powerful truths that can change your lifestyle and all that goes with it.

3 comments:

David N. James said...

John, thanks for this thought provoking post. I don’t know yet what I think about “life coaching” . I suppose some people have no idea how to live productive, useful lives and can use help. I thought though that this service was rendered by variously centered therapists/psychologists. I guess I’ll have to learn more about the mutually exclusive areas of these discipilines. Anyway, there is a black minister to 30,000 congregants in Dallas you probably know of: T.D. Jakes. He is also called a “life coach”. Below is something I have at least partially committed to memory (there may be some gaps here), partly because it makes sense to me, but, largely, because it is so poetically expressed.

Let them walk away

There are people who can walk away from you.
And hear me when I tell you this:
When people can walk away from you, let them walk.

I don't want you to try to talk another person into staying with you,
Loving you, calling you, caring about you, coming to see you,
Staying attached to you.
I mean shut it down, close the door.

When people can walk away from you let them walk.
Your destiny is never tied to anybody that left.

People leave you because they are not joined to you.
And if they are not joined to you,
You can' t make them stay.
Let them go.

They are not who you thought them to be.
And this means that their part in the story is over.
And you've got to know when a person’s
Part in your story is over so that you
Don't keep trying to raise the dead.

You've got to know when it's dead.
You've got to know when it's over.
Let me tell you something,
Find the gift of good-bye.

I have no religion and can’t believe I would conduct my life tomorrow any differently if I had one. But to me, that doesn’t mean there is not inspiration, such as the piece above, to be drawn from religious people. If his is “life coaching”, delivered by way of his advice here, I can see the value. What he writes is, to me, universal and, therefore, important. I don’t want to get into a polemical dicussion here. It’s not the venue. I started this by expressing that I value what you’ve written and this comment is meant to endorse what you have counseled in your post.

David N. James said...

John, please forgive the typos here. I can't make myself proof read closely in e-mail type transactions for some reason(s), even with possible error prompts. discipilines + disciplines, dicussion=discussion

Little Scribe said...

O My God, When I look into the future, I am frightened, but why plunge into the future? Only the present moment is precious to me,
as the future may never enter my soul at all.

It is no longer in my power, to change, correct or add to the past;
for neither sages nor prophets could do that. And so, what the past has embraced I must entrust to God.

O present moment, you belong to me, whole and entire. I desire to use you as best I can. And although I am weak and small, You grant me the grace of your omnipotence.

And so trusting in Your mercy, I walk through life like a little child, offering You each day this heart burning with love for Your greater glory.

(Saint Faustina Kowalska)