In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

In Celebration of MHS Class of 1958

A Tribute and Celebration

We were the class of 1958, members of the Greatest Generation as well as children of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1940, we are also called members of the Traditional Generation.

Our childhood, post World War II, "was the best of times . . . it was the age of wisdom . . . it was the epoch of belief . . .it was the season of Light . . . it was the spring of hope . . . we had everything before us . . .we were all going direct to Heaven . . . ." (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.) At least, that's the way I felt about it. We were truly blessed.

- Ouida Tomlinson -

This blog is a place for 1958 graduates of Meridian, Mississippi, High School to stay in touch, post their news, items of interest and photographs.

CLASS OF 1958 MEMORIES (Click to read all posts relating to sports, honors, graduation and other memories of our class in 1957-58.)

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR CLASS OF 1958
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MHS58/

____________________________________

HOME


Thursday, May 29, 2008

50 year history

Since graduation I have spent most of my life in prison. Well not literally, but I have worked in Corrections for the last 37 years. I started in this field with the MS Department of Youth Services in March 1971, moved into the adult system in March 77 and served as Commissioner of Corrections from 1980-87. In 1987 I was hired as Commissioner of Corrections in Alabama where I remained until March of 93. At that point I returned to MS and worked as Deputy Director of the MS Department of Human Services and retired in July 94 with 25 years of service in MS government. Attorney General Janet Reno appointed me as Director of the National Institute of Corrections in July 94 and I have been fortunate to be reappointed by three other AG’s and remain in Washington, DC as Director of NIC. Retirement from the Federal Government is likely at the end of this year.

Unfortunately a marriage of 42 years ended in divorce in July 2005. My two sons and five grandchildren live in Jackson. I am very proud of my family. Lee the oldest is director of a community ministry in Jackson, Mission First (http://www.missionfirst.org/) Scot is a certified financial advisor and also has created a ministry called Chasing Solomon (http://www.chasingsolomon.com/) This ministry developed as a result of a book Scot authored entitled Chasing Solomon.

I really look forward to our reunion. Thru the years I have wondered if I would still be around in 2008. It seemed so far down the road and yet I have been blessed with good health and look forward to being with many of you in October.

4 comments:

David N. James said...

Morris. welcome aboard!

Thanks for the update and for telling us about your successful career. You are also proud of your children, as you should be. We need contributing players to keep things from going stale on the blog. Thanks for joining the "team".

Little Scribe said...

Morris, we are so happy that you have posted and told us about yourself. I have visted your sons' websites. They are fine men. I am glad for you.

Thank you for joining us.

John Chancellor said...

Morris,

Thanks for sharing the story of all you have been doing.

I do hope this is an example for others so that we may re-connect and get to know what has been going on, what we have accomplished and where our paths have taken us.

Do us a favor and upload a picture.

Martha Markline Hopkins said...

Happy to hear from you, Morris. Will you be moving to MS any time soon?